Friday 1 May 2009

Home Sweet Home

It feels like a great accomplishment to have been away on my first retreat. It is probably going to take me a while to assimilate all the information that my brain has been processing. On a practical level, it has taught me a few things about what is important to me:

1. I like having my own bathroom.

2. The little extras in life, like a comfy cushion on my chair make a difference to how welcome I feel.

3. I love silence, it is great to have an excuse not to have to give an impression of my self or feeling that I need to show an interest in others when I really don't want to.

4. I can go to sleep without the TV on, though I suspect that this might also be to do with the fact that I was away from the distractions that cause my brain to overload and require the TV to be on in the first place!

5. Colour is poetry to me, I love to experiment with it in patterns and doodles!

I'm sure there is probably more, but that will do for now.

Hilfield Friary is a funny little place, the Franciscan monks there are a variety of ages, they are a very eco positive bunch of folks, which suits me fine, but the whole place did feels just a bit to blokey for me. I may go back some time, they do have some self-catering houses on the complex that are suitable for groups - I think this is probably the biggest draw to get me back along with the beautiful countryside. Below are a few pictures to show the seclusion of the place, sadly it rained all day Thursday so I only got out in the evening, however that did mean, I read and painted and cross stitched all day!





































3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the peace and quiet. St Michael's in Ham is not blokey at all and I love the place. Their garden is a treat and Richmond Park is on the doorstep too. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glorious! I'm trying very hard not to be insanely jealous. To have days of complete silence ... aaaaaaah! And in such a lovely place....

    So glad you enjoyed your time there. Wish I could come visit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever visited England Susanne?

    ReplyDelete